Trinity College Chapter History
The Epsilon Chapter of the fraternity of Delta Psi was founded at Trinity College in October of 1850 by Charles Frederick Hoffman (Gamma 1848, Epsilon, 1850). Epsilon was without an official chapter house until the late nineteenth century when the trustees of the fraternity purchased a plot of land on Gallows Hill, next to the site where the College was going to move. Robert Habersham Coleman (Epsilon, 1873) then committed his time, effort and $28,000 for construction of a new chapter house. Coleman graduated Trinity in the spring of 1877 and remained in Hartford for a year, overseeing the construction. Josiah Cleveland Cady (Epsilon, 1856) was chosen as the architect/designer of the new chapter house. Cady's hand can be viewed through his traditional trademark, decrux aanasta, which is included on top of the tower. The John E. Sidman Company of New York was hired to build Trinity College's chapter house, and it was completed in 1878. Because of Coleman's outstanding efforts and generosity, a portrait of Coleman hangs in the library of the chapter house, a light continuously illuminating it. The Epsilon chapter house became a national historical landmark on November 5, 1985.
The Epsilon chapter of Saint Anthony Hall has been a coeducational institution since 1985, providing students of Trinity College the opportunity to explore, learn and grow beyond the walls of the classroom.
National Fraternity History
The St. Anthony Hall was founded as the Fraternity of Delta Psi on January 17, 1847, at Columbia University in New York. As such, its patron saint is St. Anthony, patron saint of writers. It began as a true fraternity dedicated to the love of education and the well being of its members. Chapters were soon founded throughout the Northeast, and extended into the South during the mid-1800s.
Unfortunately, during the Civil War, contact was lost with the Southern chapters. Many members wore their badges into battle, serving with distinction on both sides, and were often reunited in both pleasant and antagonistic situations throughout the war. After the War, some Southern chapters rejoined the Grand Chapter, while still more were founded in the South.
Similarly, members of the order took part in both the First and Second World Wars. Many honorable lives were lost, and the fraternity faced crises during each of these conflicts. St. Anthony Hall continued to prosper, however, in their aftermath. The Chapter Halls were always open and waiting for brethren to return from the front.
More recently, St. Anthony Hall became one of the first fraternal organizations to accept women, beginning at Yale in the late 1960's. Chapters can now admit women at their election. While we use the Greek name "Delta Psi," we are traditionally known as "St. Anthony Hall" and we use that name nationally to emphasize the consistency of our traditions. We remain to this day a group of college students interested in the bonds of fraternity and sharing a common passion for the love of learning and the appreciation of a well-rounded education.